Epic Games have launched a lawsuit against Apple and Google after they removed popular gaming app, Fortnite, from their app stores.
The company have said they’re not seeking money but are instead asking for injunctions that would revolutionise the way tech firms operate their app stores.
The lawsuit was launched after the developer of Fortnite found out the tech firms had dropped the game from their app stores after Epic Games announced on Thursday it was introducing a direct payment plan, bypassing Apple and Googles cut of 30% from in-app purchases.
Despite the battle game being massively popular since its launch in 2017 and with more than 2 million downloads alone last month, in true Apple and Google style they decided to drop the video game from their app stores and accuse the developer of breaching guidelines.
Apple said Fortnite had been removed because Epic Games had launched the payment feature with the “express intent of violating the App Store guidelines”.
It added that the guidelines “create a level playing field for all developers and make the store safe for all users”.
Google spokesman Dan Jackson said the tech company would “welcome the opportunity to continue our discussions with Epic and bring Fortnite back to Google Play”.
With the hope of changing the way tech giants run their app stores Epic Games said, “Apple has become what it once railed against: the behemoth seeking to control markets, block competition, and stifle innovation.
“Apple is bigger, more powerful, more entrenched, and more pernicious than the monopolists of yesteryear.
“Epic is not seeking any monetary relief, but rather only an order enjoining Google from continuing to impose its anti-competitive conduct on the Android ecosystem.”
What do you think about Apple and Google’s move on Epic? Let us know in the comments!